P-Quick Driving School
About Driving School



How to get L - Learner’s permit?

First step. Getting your learner's permit.

You'll need to pass a Theory Test based on the road rules in South Australia before being issued with a learner's permit.

There's a couple of ways to do this.

1. From the age of 15 years and 9 months you can enrol in 'myLs', an online interactive learning and assessment course and theory test in one. The course takes around 4 hours to complete and you can then attempt the theory test as the final stage of the course. You can even re-attempt the theory test (again and again!) if necessary, at no extra cost.


2. You can still sit the in-office theory test conducted at Service SA Centres. You'll need to book a time to take the test and pay the test fee. Just remember, you need to be 16 years or older to sit the test and if you don't pass, you'll need to pay the fee again to retake the test.

Learner's permit

Upon completing the myLs course or passing a theory test you can pay the learner's permit fee and obtain a learner's permit that will allow you to drive for two years under 'learner's permit conditions'.

If you complete the myLs course, you can pay and obtain your permit online through your mySAGOV account.

Learner's permit holders can learn to drive in a High-powered Vehicle because they are required to be supervised by a Qualified Supervising Driver at all times.

Who can teach you?

Anyone, including parents, friends or a Motor Driving Instructor who has held a full license for two years or longer and has not been disqualified from driving in the last two years can teach you to drive.

Learner's permit conditions

Learner's permit conditions

The holder of a learner's permit must not drive a motor vehicle (unless the motor vehicle is a motorcycle) on a road unless accompanied by a qualified supervising driver who supervises and instructs the learner in the safe and efficient driving of the motor vehicle (including during parking practice).

Learner's permits are issued subject to conditions. If you breach a condition you will lose your learner's permit and be disqualified from driving. This is in addition to any other penalty.

The conditions are:

  • Theory test
  • You must not drive a motor vehicle when there is any concentration of alcohol in your blood or the presence of THC (the active component in cannabis), Methylamphetamine (also known as speed, ice or crystal meth) or MDMA (Ecstasy) in your blood or oral saliva
  • If you commit a speeding offence, you will also commit a breach of your learner's permit conditions if you exceed the speed limit by 10 km/h or more
  • You must drive with a qualified supervising driver in the seat next to the driver
  • You must not accumulate four or more demerit points during the learner's permit period.
  • The following laws also apply to the holder of a learner's permit. If you breach any of these laws you may incur penalties such as fines, demerit points or loss of license
  • you must only drive the class of motor vehicle stated on your license
  • you must display the correct size 'L' plates so that they are clearly visible from the front and rear of the vehicle
  • you must carry your learner's permit at all times whilst driving
  • you must not drive over 100 km/h even if the local speed limit exceeds 100 km/h
  • you must not use any mobile phone function while driving including hands free mode, Bluetooth technology and loud speaker operation

Learner driver log book

Road safety research shows that learner drivers need to get as much supervised practice as possible on their learner's permit under a variety of road conditions to develop the skills and experience needed for safe driving.

The Learner Driver Log Book will help you track your progress during this important learning time. It is also designed to record driving practice under a variety of conditions. This includes exposure to more difficult driving conditions such as driving at night or in wet conditions.

How long do you have to keep the log book?

The log book is a record of your learner driving experience and provides documented evidence that you have completed the minimum of 75 hours driving practice and supervised experience.

The log book must be submitted at a Customer Service Centre when applying for your provisional driver's license. Keep it in a safe place.

How to obtaine a P1 Provisional Licence?

Before you can apply for a P1 provisional license you must:

  • be at least 17 years old
  • pass a Hazard Perception Test
  • have held the learner's permit for a minimum of 12 full calendar months if under the age of 25
  • have held the learner's permit for a minimum of six full calendar months if aged 25 or over
  • have a minimum of 75 hours of supervised driving (including 15 hours of night driving) recorded in your driving companion and
  • pass a practical driving test (VORT) conducted by an instructor or Accreditation Auditor or complete a CBT&A course with an instructor

Mast Know!

The Driver's Handbook has been an important guide for drivers in South Australia for years.




Looking for more information ?